Friday, January 11, 2008

A rough start to the new year...

It's with great saddness that we share our most recent family news with you. On January 3rd when we went to my doctor for my (nearly) 3-month pregnancy check-up (I was at 11 weeks), the doctor discovered that we had lost our baby. From the ultrasound the size of the fetus showed that it stopped developing somewhere around it's 6th or 7th week...somewhere around the 1st week of December. For some reason, my body hadn't given me any indication that the baby wasn't alive & I still very much felt as if I were pregnant.

Because of that, the news came as quite a shock to us. We spent the next few days reeling & processing with family over skype. Telling Ieva was difficult - probably one of the most difficult, yet tender moments we've had together in our small family. Since her favorite line to proclaim to everyone has been "Ieva's a big sister!!" we explained that the baby in mama's tummy isn't there anymore, but instead is in heaven with Jesus. She looked into our tear-filled eyes & asked sincerely "Ieva big sister??" "No..." we told her. "Not now. But you will be later." In the days to follow her new line has become: "Mama & Daddy so sad...baby in heaven with Jesus...Ieva big sister later." It's pretty precious what our two-year old is able to come up with, and this loss makes us love & appreciate her all the more.

This past Tuesday we went to Vilnius so I could have the D&C procedure done at the Baltic American Clinic. We continue to be extremely impressed with the care & skill used there, which is what keeps us driving the 3.5 hours when we have major medical needs. The same doctor who delivered Ieva did my procedure & was very caring during the entire experience. She gave me a good report after it was all done & we were on our way 5 hours after coming in! I was pretty nervous about my recovery...how painful it all might be, how long it would take to feel normal again, how I might feel emotionally...but it really has gone amazingly well!

We've received loads of encouraging emails & phone calls from friends & family, all ensuring us that they have been & continue to pray for us. And we are convinced that it's only through those faithful prayers that my recovery has gone so smoothly. Physically I feel pretty good & emotionally I am in much better shape than I anticipated being (and than I was last week). Truly, we praise the Lord for this!! He has shown Himself faithful to us once again through this difficult process and is even beginining to open my eyes to some of the reasons why He may have allowed us to experience this loss.

So for now, we will continue to covet your prayers as we readjust our plans for the future and settle back into a new semester of work at LCC. If you could also add the loss of our nanny to your prayers, we'd be thankful. I'm currently writing on Friday evening & we're scheduled to both be at work full-time starting Monday and don't have a replacement nanny lined up yet. We've got a few phone calls to make over the weekend & are trusting that God will continue to show us His faithfulness to our family has He has so many times before. Thanks for joining us in praying for this crucial need.

And thanks again family, friends & faithful blog-readers, for supporting our life & ministry here in Lithuania is so many ways!! We truly could not be here, doing what we're doing, without you. Labai Ačiu.

9 comments:

Jennie said...

Your family is in my thoughts and prayers. I miss you guys like crazy and I can't believe how big Ieva's getting since my SA a year and a half ago!

Anonymous said...

my thoughts and prayers are with you all!

Krista said...

oh my dear Kim,
I'm so sorry to hear this. I can't believe how many of my friends have gone through this recently, it just breaks my heart. I pray that you will find peace in the middle of this storm.
Love you lots,
Krista

Mark&Britt said...

Kim and Andrew - we are so sorry for your loss and our prayers are with you and Ieva... we love you guys.

Heidi Pender said...

Kim and Andrew--We love you and are praying for your healing in all ways. Your family at North Valley is praying for you too. Michael and Heidi

Tamryn, Jon, Ezzie and Lina Weber said...

We are so sorry to hear this news, and at the same time so thankful to know that you see God's healing hand through all of this.. even though the reasons are unknown. We love you and are praying for you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,

So sad to hear about stuff like this. I've just finished reading the book of Job not too long ago and from this reading I have learned that God doesn't cause stuff like this to happen. God only allows it to happen and for a greater purpose. I view stuff like this as a byproduct of a sin-infected, fallen world. Plus, we do have an enemy who is relentless at trying to take us out. Just remember, "...God works in all things for the good of those who love Him...." Romans 8:28

We're praying for ya sis!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim and Andrew,
We just heard about the loss of your baby and just wanted you to know we're so sorry. Looking back at your previous blog posts, it is clear that your little one was well loved by its parents and sister during those few weeks he or she was with you.
I had a pretty much identical miscarriage last year...went in at 11 weeks, found out that the baby had died at around 6 weeks, had the D&C... I can understand how this month has been for you guys.
Peace and rest and blessings to you all.
Jody Jones

Anonymous said...

Kim and Andrew, I just read your Christmas email (went to an old account) and sent congratulations and then came here and read that you suffered a miscarriage. I am soo sorry. Please feel my love going out to you and my prayers going up for you. I pray the Lord will bless you when you are again ready with a healthy pregnancy and blessed addition to your family. May He keep you wrapped in his arms until then. Many blessings,
The Metzgers