Monday, January 09, 2006

She's a big kid now!

As of this past weekend, ieva kirstine is officially grown up. Okay...maybe not quite, but she has taken the step (or been moved) from sharing a room with mom & dad to the independance of a room of her very own.
The event has more strongly impacted us (the parents) far more than her (the newly-appointed big kid), as we had really become accustomed to hearing her sweet voice from her crib at the foot of our bed & liked how quickly we could jump to her side. Now we are forced to rely on an electronic moniter, through which her voice doesn't sound nearly so sweet (but still pretty close), and trust that the big room that she's in all by herself won't spontaneously combust in the night. Oh, and hope we don't stub our toes too many times as we stumble in our sleep from our room to hers in the night to change & feed her - thankfully there's no stairs or too many turns to navigate!
After two nights on our own, we're doing okay...wait...sorry - I meant after two nights on her own, she's doing okay! ...I actually even wonder if she knows the difference.

I guess this is just the first step of many that will force us to slowly let go of our precious baby girl as she grows up before our eyes. And, like with all those difficult steps to come, I have to remind myself that this is good for both her & for us as we're teaching her to become her own person - a person who I'm sure will be simply amazing.

2 comments:

Aj Schwanz said...

Aw. :) I didn't have a problem with Judah sleeping in the other room (it was the only way I could get *some* semblance of sleep and stay a little bit sane), but it was hard when we decided to stop using the monitor. Ah, those comforting security blankets.

Anonymous said...

Be brave, be strong! Someday Kylie will go to her room, maybe when she is 16?