Friday, December 09, 2005

Christmas comes early to LCC

As usual, the annual Lithuania Christian College Christmas program occurred during the 1st weekend of December. With all the end of semester Christmas events & students preparing for finals, doing it any later just wouldn't work.

I served as the Program Coordinator again this year - something I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do with ieva, but found it to be a huge relief to get a little adult interaction again! This was the first year that I didn't sing in the choir, however, so I actually got to sit & watch the program as a member of the audience, which was fun. Ieva did awesome both nights & slept through the entire thing. Because I presented flowers to Dave (the director) at the end, I sat near the front & on an end (in case I had to run out with ieva or to help with something - like the first night when Mary & Joseph had their mics on back stage & we could hear everything they were saying!) which put me directly in front of the brass band we had accompanying the choir in a few pieces. After jolting awake to the first brass proclamation of Christ's birth, Ieva slept through the rest of it without a problem.

Our program is unique, as it's all done with both English & a Lithuanian narration, and the students who participate come from 18 different countries. This year our 3 wise men were from Ghana, Kyrgystan & Lithuania, Mary was from Albania & Joseph from Ukraine. A few years ago Dave had a life-size straw horse made (straw figures are a traditional Lithuanian handicraft) for Joseph to pull Mary out on. It's on wheels, so it rolls well & the audience always gets a huge kick out of it! We also have a Lithuanian guy who's played the angel Gabriel for the past few years & we tell the whole story of him appearing to shepherds in the fields, as well as to Mary & Joseph. We also had a troupe of dancing angels, dressed in white & proclaiming God's glory. Overall, this year was one of our best yet. The choir sounded amazing (especially considering they are made up of volunteering staff, faculty & students - some who can't even read music), and we had a bell choir who also added a nice touch.

People kept asking why ieva wasn't playing baby Jesus & then were shocked when I told them that she probably wouldn't stay as calm and serene as the doll we use instead. Everyone thinks she is a perfect baby who never cries, since she knows how to turn the charm on when she's in public. Before the 2nd performance, we took a group photo with the entire cast & Andrew set ieva on the back of the big straw horse.
Everyone Ooo'ed & Aww'ed and it seemed like hundreds of photos were taken (too bad our camera batteries were dead by that time & no one has sent us a copy yet). She definitely is a little star around LCC!

All in all, the program was a success. We told the story of Christ's birth & His love for all people to approximately 1,300 people over two nights, and hopefully, what was communicated made a difference in someone's life.

No comments: