Monday, November 07, 2005

Parental Nighttime Dementia...

I've decided that there is a new disorder I'm going to patent "PND" or Parental Nighttime Dementia. This is what we have been experiencing during the past 6 weeks since having a newborn in our lives! It's the act of doing or saying crazy things during the night due to waking up abruptly (or not waking up at all) in response to the baby.

We're generally not fans of the family bed principle, but have, at times, let Ieva sleep in bed with us - usually out of desperation to get her to go back to sleep (here again - PND can be blamed). This occasional 'baby in bed' act has caused both of us a different times to awaken abruptly in the middle of the night & start pushing the other one around, convinced they are laying on top of the baby. I've been guilty a time or two of sitting straight up & immediately trying to lift Andrew's arms & roll him over, thinking I'd find Ieva suffocating beneath him. He's done the same to me at least once where I suddenly was awakened by Andrew feeling across my chest (and not in that 'let's get it on!' kind of way, if you know what I mean) & trying to roll me over, repeatedly asking "where's the baby?"

To our (and most likely, your) relief, Ieva has never once actually been in our bed at any of the times we've searched for her, having been put safely down in her own bed earlier on each of those nights. Once we've come to, we've then quickly remembered that she isn't actually small enough to be hidden by either of us & can't roll or crawl to hide from us, either. Not to mention that anytime she actually does sleep with us, I'm never in a full state of sleep anyway, out of paranoia that one of us could actually roll over & crush her in our sleep. Before any of you start sending emails warning us of the dangers of co-sleeping, let me assure you that we have done our research, and do have a very large bed in which we are very careful when our precious daughter shares it with us.

The other recent sign of PND that was more comical than anything else came last week... Ieva's crib is currently in our room at the foot of our bed (we'll move her to her own room in another month or so), and it's easy to wake up when she wakes up or hear her when she has a problem. Unlike me, Andrew can sleep through her crying - or at least stay laying there with his eyes closed, letting her get her energy out. I'm not quite there yet. The other night we tried to let her cry herself to sleep (she was 5 weeks old at the time), and after she cried for an hour straight & I had cried for at least a quarter of that time, we got her up & I fed her and we cuddled her until she zonked out. I could barely handle it. I actually just read an article that said that biologically, moms are designed to react more emotionally to their babies cries than dads do. So...that's my excuse.

ANYWAY...back to the original story...as much as Andrew can sleep through her crying, it's when she makes the slightest weird sound or momentarily stops breathing that he'll wake up out of a dead sleep. The other night she made some strange choking sound & he was up at her cribside in a single leap! After I slowly came to, I laughed & commented about how quick he can wake up & move when he wants to (not quite the same story in the mornings), to which he responded "I'm both a father AND an athlete!" in a very stoic voice. It was hilarious - especially considering it was in the middle of the night. I asked him the next morning if he actually remembered saying it & he said he did. Well...quick wit does run in the Stave family...I guess now we know that it can even be used while waking from a dead sleep!

No comments: