As I'm sure many of you did, I grew up hearing stories from those in my parents and grandparents' generation about how much harder life was for them as kids. "When I was a kid..." and then things would get rolling from there "...I had to walk 2 miles to school in 3 feet of snow...uphill...both ways...barefoot..." and the tales would get taller as they'd go.
I've thought of this generational descriptor many times in the past month as we've been walking our daughter to preschool...a 1/2 mile each way...over a 25-foot high pedestrian bridge...in the rain...barefoot. (just kidding! I had to slip that one in...)
But in all seriousness, our newly 3-year old daughter walks .5 miles to school & .5 miles home from school every day. And it usually takes us anywhere from 20-30 minutes depending on her mood & how much she wants to dawdle (or how much we refuse to carry her). How many 3-year olds do you know that walk that far to school? We have realized that not even many of her classmates do this, as the vast majority either live in the neighborhood of the school or their parents have cars.
We're curious how it's going to work once the weather gets really cold & wet this winter. There is a bus we could take, but it goes out of the way & will take nearly as long to walk to the bus & from the bus stop to school as it would to just walk the whole way.
So when Ieva is a grandma, she'll be able to tell her grandkids the stories about "when I was a kid living in Eastern Europe..." and she won't even have to embellish...at least not too much!
I've thought of this generational descriptor many times in the past month as we've been walking our daughter to preschool...a 1/2 mile each way...over a 25-foot high pedestrian bridge...in the rain...barefoot. (just kidding! I had to slip that one in...)
But in all seriousness, our newly 3-year old daughter walks .5 miles to school & .5 miles home from school every day. And it usually takes us anywhere from 20-30 minutes depending on her mood & how much she wants to dawdle (or how much we refuse to carry her). How many 3-year olds do you know that walk that far to school? We have realized that not even many of her classmates do this, as the vast majority either live in the neighborhood of the school or their parents have cars.
We're curious how it's going to work once the weather gets really cold & wet this winter. There is a bus we could take, but it goes out of the way & will take nearly as long to walk to the bus & from the bus stop to school as it would to just walk the whole way.
So when Ieva is a grandma, she'll be able to tell her grandkids the stories about "when I was a kid living in Eastern Europe..." and she won't even have to embellish...at least not too much!
1 comment:
Ieva is going to have so many great stories to share!! I tagged you on our blog...play on if you wish. An explanation is on our blog, too! :-) Hope you're well!
Post a Comment